Sunday, June 11, 2006

I had a long talk with my nephew last night. He is station in Iraq. It is good to know that he is safe. It was 3:30 am desert standard time (I just made that up) when he called. His job right now is to train the Iraqi police. They have to truck them out in the middle of the desert to insure that they don’t run home if it gets a little tough. He sounded very tired and a little frustrated. We talked about his future plans, and family. He wants to go to Japan when he gets out an attend school there. This is the same young man that got himself stuck in Hong Kong a couple of years ago. But he has grown up some in the Army and I hope that he finds what he is looking for in Japan. His parents are not happy about these plans, and I believe this is a source of tension between them. If he were my kid I would not be happy about these plans, but he is the bride’s sister’s kid. I do worry about him headed over there but I figure if he has fought in a war for our country and he wants to try Japan then he should give it his best shot. Maybe you wonder what the attraction is for him over there, well he likes oriental girls. I am not sure I would base my whole future on a bunch of really cute girls, but he is 21 and I am 53.

1 comment:

BobG said...

Good luck to your nephew over there; hope he stays safe.