Friday, November 16, 2007

The right knee is gone and I have a bright shinny new one in its place, or so they tell me. It looks like my old knee with a very long scar. The in home therapists should be here in about two hours. I am not sure what this is going to consist of but I don’t think it will be fun. My legs hurt and are very weak. I have not been up stairs since the second knee replacement and have not had good nights sleep in the past three. I can tell things are getting better and I am grateful for that. The day after the surgery the physical therapist came into the room to get me out of bed. I was scheduled to go home Wednesday. They had given me a nerve block to help deal with the pain and it worked great. I felt nothing. Anyway I stood up and nothing worked I went crashing to the floor (the look on the therapist face was priceless) and I was everywhere. This did hurt just a little. Knees seem to work. I looked at them and they were bent one going one-way and one going another. Nurses came running into the room clamoring on the best way to get me off the floor. They went with getting a towel under my butt and a bunch of little hands grabbing corners to lift me up to a stool, a chair and then the bed. I told them I was not leaving the hospital until the next day. I here to tell you that mom and the bride could not handle me if I went down at home, they would have to 911 my butt.

My plans were to take the month of November off but I may just take of to the first of the year.

4 comments:

BobG said...

Sounds like you're going to be stuck at home for a while. My brother-in-law had to have both of his replaced, and he is doing fairly well. The important thing is to exercise them, even if it is painful. If they are not exercised enough while healing, they will never recover their strength, and will not work correctly. Good luck.

Kenny said...

Exersise is what I am doing. I am seeing improvements and that brings joy to the old heart. I just can not get a good night sleep. I think I will move to the recliner tonight to see if that helps.

NICKEL said...

I hope you have a better physical therapist a home. I had back surgery and the physical therapist was great. I am still following her exercise program for my back.

My brother in law had his knees replaced three times and he has done very well. He walks normally and you would never know he had had surgery.

My sister had a knee replacement. She was to stretch her leg all the way by riding a stationary bike. She was never able to do that. She still has a limp.

You will become stronger every day. Think positive thoughts and good luck. I put you on my blog roll so I could track your progress. Keep writing. We are all pulling for you.

BobG said...

Good to hear; keep it up.