Thursday, March 27, 2008

I am a bit rattled today. I had taken the day off to hang with my mom, I was down stairs making breakfast and I heard a very loud thump. My mom had fallen; I raced up the stairs calling to her. She was down on the floor not able to get up. I thank God I was home when this happened. I got her back on the bed asking how she was. We sat there for awhile and she said that she was fine, I did not believe her. She stood up a little unsteady but managed to get to the bathroom. I ran back downstairs to turn off the stove. I was cooking ham and eggs. I got back and mom was walking down the stairs, I stood at the bottom and watched every step. I got her on the couch and asked how she was doing. Again all I could get out of her was FINE. I told her she was going to the emergency room and she got up to get dressed. Mom did not make it crossed the living room she was wobbly and had to sit in the rocker. I called 911 and the paramedics hauled her to the hospital. Mom was in the ER for 7 hours, some bone headed administrator would not admit her because there was not neurologist on call. The ER Doc tried and tried to get her admitted to couple hospitals in the area. One was full and one said that it was Davis hospital responsibility to admit her. The ER Doc finally found a DR that would go over the administrator head and get her admitted. I was mad beyond belief. But mom is in the hospital and I hope and pray that can find out what is wrong. They have ruled out inner ear, heart attack, stroke, and couple of other things. I am sure I will post more later.

2 comments:

BobG said...

I remember my dad fainting once and having trouble getting up. We happened to be at the hospital at the time where he was getting radiation treatments, so they checked him out. His blood pressure was at 58/33 (it was amazing that he was still alive). Turned out he was dehydrated because he hadn't been drinking enough water. Instead of drinking water, he was only sipping enough to quench his thirst. Once they pumped a couple of liters of saline solution and made him drink a pint of water, he was fine.

Kenny said...

being dehydrated may be part of it. mom drinks very little water, mostly coffee. She will be drinking a whole bunch more water in the future.