Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I just had a very nice lunch with an old friend and coworker. He is retiring next Tuesday. We have been friends since we first met over 25 years ago. We both realize that we will not see each other very much after his retirement. He has been a good friend and I am going to miss him.

We talked a lot about what the after life (being retired) would bring. He has his airframe and power plant license and has been buying wrecked planes to rebuild and doing quite well with it. So he will be plenty busy. Me on the other hand I still need to figure something out. Looking at my calendar I have 252 days until I am eligible to go (not that I am counting). I have told the bride she will come home to a clean house, hot dinner, and me in nothing more then an apron. She told me to find a hobby. My buddy Dave seems to have fun driving a bus for kids. The only problem I would have with that is I don’t like kids that much. Grand kids are different, those I like.

I have thought about buying wooden furniture at yard sales and refinishing it. I am not out to make a lot of money but I am out to keep myself busy. I do believe I would have a pretty good chance to come back as a contractor, but if I have to work full time I might as well stay doing what I do.

I know this may sound weird but I would like to retire to spend more time with the dogs. The bride and I are gone at the minimum 10 1/2 hours a day. The dogs seem to have fun running up and down the fences barking at the neighbor dogs but I think they would like one of us home. Lot of stuff to think about.

1 comment:

Nate said...

You could sign up for one of those correspondence gunsmithing courses. That might be fun and profitable at the same time.

Or buy Bob's reloading business from him and do custom reloading, selling online.