Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I got home from San Diego Sunday around noon. It was a good visit for the most part. My sister did come down with bronchitis and I ended up taking her to the emergency room twice. It may sound a little dramatic but she did have open heart surgery 8 months ago and it is better to safe then sorry. Because of her illness we did not go to Disneyland.

We did go to Indio CA. Mom had told my sister that she wanted to go see Aggie and Harold’s house and grave. I always called them Aunt Aggie and Uncle Harold. Very nice folks and very close friends of my mom. I spent a good deal of my youth in Indio; we would make the trip at least once a month to go for a visit. Indio was a small dusty mostly Mexican community. Aunt Aggie made the best tacos in the world bar none. It had been thirty years since any of us had been there. The last time was for Aunt Aggie’s funeral. Uncle Harold had died some years earlier.

Indio has boomed into a thriving city and new housing developments have sprung up all over the place. We knew they lived on avenue 48 but between the three of us we could not remember the house number. As we drove down avenue 48 all I saw was new homes. I figure we would never find the place. We came to an intersection and it was like a time machine. It was a dusty little Mexican settlement. The house was exactly as it was thirty years go. We sat out front for a few minutes and let the past soak in. Mom wanted to find the cemetery and the graves. The cemetery is on avenue 52, so off we went. The staff there took us right to the graves. Mom was very quite, I went back to the car got a bottle of water and a rag to clean the head stone. Mom wanted to come back with some flowers. We found a wonderful little Mexican restaurant had lunch bought a nice bunch of flowers for her friends.

4 comments:

BobG said...

Good to see you survived the People's Republic of Kalifornia. At least you came back to some decent weather.

Kenny said...

Yes I did surive , and it is always good to get back to FA (Free America)

k said...

Every decade or two I make it back to the little house in Arcadia, CA, where I spent some Formative Years as a child.

And found, one visit - to my delight - that the Mexican restaurant we used to thrive on was still standing.

We got some takeout. It wasn't wrapped in white butcher paper any more. The food had been...modernized a little bit too. But not by much.

And it all tasted like ambrosia.

Kenny said...

I try and make it down at least once a year. Some of the places I loved to go are gone but thats life. I did introduce my sister to "in and out burgers", she fell in love