Wednesday, March 21, 2007


I have made two fishing trips to Alaska in the past couple of years. I have had a wonderful time each time I have gone. Although I broke my ankle and tore my bicep from my shoulder this last trip I still had fun. The Yakutat Lodge is owned by Jill and Ken Fanning. I have some friends that have gone every year for the past 10 or 12 years. I have gone twice and we all agree that Jill was the one to keep the place running. We found out that Jill past away this past December she died in her sleep from a heart attack. She will be missed by everyone who met her; she was a very nice lady.

It seems that the place is starting to come apart at the seams. One of my fishing buddies talked with a long time employee of the lodge at the Sportsman Expo in Salt Lake City last week. It will be a shame if this place goes under. The price is fairly reasonable even though the accommodations are rough, and I do mean rough. Not very many women I know are man enough to stay at this place. I know a few guys that would have a hard time. One of the rooms has a sheet of plastic on the ceiling to divert the rain water from the bed directly under it. I have been told that the plastic has been there since the year 2000. I know for a fact that the plastic does not work every time. I was not the one sleeping under the plastic but I did get to laugh at the guy who did.

I have been pricing alternatives and I have been hit with sticker shock. The bride was taken back even more then I was. If she could just pull down this next promotion I am sure that would take care of the problem or if I could win the lottery. Either would work for me.

2 comments:

Kenny said...

The picture was taken last September

Anonymous said...

There's *nothing* as relaxing as a day of fishing! Nice post.