Sunday, February 24, 2008

My mom has gotten an offer on her house. Much less then we were asking, but we started asking before the housing market crashed. The real estate agent handling the property for us (this is down in San Diego) feels the market has not bottomed out yet. She believes that it will continue down for the rest of the year and then stabilize for a couple years before it starts to climb again. I don’t want to have a house sitting vacant for a couple years. I can see nothing good in that. I am coordinating with my sister on the sale of the house. She has been a little more hesitant to sale at a lower price, but talking with her last night it seems that she is starting to except that it is what it is.

Mom was saying that she missed the house. She had lived in it for 50 years and raised both me and my sister. I can not imagine how hard it must be on her to know she has lost a certain amount of her independence. Mom does seem to enjoy our company but it still must be hard. After all those years she is picking up after me again

2 comments:

NICKEL said...

There is no place like your own home no matter how old you are. I am sure your mom feels good to be needed so let her pick up after you.

k said...

That'a always a hard thing, leaving your home. Now that I have my own home, I never want to leave it.

Not to mention, hard to deal with having to sell in a down market. I was in the real estate business for many years, myself, and have a double major in real estate and in finance. I understand these cycles and I've been watching them since the mid-1970's. But most people have trouble accepting them.

And whatever your background is, losing that big chunk of equity to a falling market is never pleasant.

You seem to understand that sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. That's a good thing.

I can't stand to see all that snow! It makes me feel so cold. I used to have to work outside in in, back in the late 1970's when we had three terrible winters in a row in Chicago. I was working for the post office for part of that time. Driving a truck in that snow and ice can be terrible.

It will be in the mid to high 80's here tomorrow.

That's what I like.